Settling an advance payment in a matter can be done like this:
- For the matter that has an advance payment, create an invoice;
You have 3 options here:
- No: don't settle any outstanding advances;
- Yes, settle with this invoice: This will settle the advance payment with this invoice so that the outstanding balance will be € 0 (if the advance payment is sufficient);
- Yes, settle with all outstanding advances fully: This option will settle all the outstanding advance payments with this invoice. This means that if the outstanding advance amount is higher than the invoice amount, this generates a negative amount (credit invoice) which you can pay back to your client.
- Choose 'Create' and the invoice will be generated.
Please note that you do not necessarily need to choose these options when creating an invoice. After the invoice is created, if there are any outstanding advances, you can always choose to settle those in the invoice edit screen: